Very excited to write this first Wired Yarn post. When thinking of which project to share as my first one, it was simple.
For any Firefly fan, you automatically know what I’m talking about.
I originally started this as a Christmas ’11 project for my brother-in-law. (Many thanks to Kim Werker for posting her crochet pattern on Crochet Me. I couldn’t have done this without you. I know you didn’t know I saw your post til now.)
Due to the nature of me wanting to reproduce the hat as close to the real thing as possible, I decided to actually follow the pattern (a first for me) and not just do my own thing. This was the first time I experienced using stitch markers.
I used old wine glass charms as markers.
They pull double duty quite well.
The most important lesson learned from this project is “gauge“. As you see in the photo below
there’s quite a bit of give in the hat. This is me wearing Jayne’s hat before finishing touches.
I learned to ensure my gauge is good before proceeding with a project. Especially when it has to fit well.
Unfortunately, I do not yet have a finished photo of this project since, when finishing it, I ripped out an ear flap. I have promised my BIL that he’ll still get his Jayne’s Hat, but it has currently gone on the back burner of projects.
Such is the life of someone with ADD having more than one project going at the same time. LOL